1390 OSCAR A. OATMAN
1390 OSCAR A.7 (Oliver, Darius, Benjamin, George, John, Johannes), son of Oliver and Margaret (Earle) Oatman, was born in South Norwich Township, Oxford County, Ontario, 11 March 1858. He attended school at S.S. 9, South Norwich, and moved with his parents to Middleton Township in 1874. View his picture here.
Goshen Baptist Church was established when the family moved there. He was baptized into the church, served as a deacon and superintendent of the Church School, sang in the choir, and led the choir from ca 1800 until the 1940's. He had an excellent bass voice and sang at many concerts in the district with his sister Bertha accompanying him on the piano. He was a school trustee of S.S.5 at Middleton. He farmed with his father on Lot 6 and on Lot 5 where the family moved in 1891. He took over part of the farm after his father's death.
On 18 April 1900 he married Lillian Wilson, born 1876, and died 1964. They lived on the farm until his death in 1952 and her death in 1964. They are both buried in the Tillsonburg Cemetery, Tilsonburg, Ontario.
Children of Oscar A. and Lillian (Wilson) Oatman:
3250 Marjorie L., b. 13 Jan 1901, Goshen, Oxford Co., ON; d. 9 Feb 1902 at Goshen.
3251 Leon, b. 30 Mar 1903; d. 9 Aug 1986, FL; m. Beatrice Hicks. Lived in Detroit until retiring to Florida in 1969. Daughter, Bonnie, b. 1923, m. Ray Junk. Children, surname Junk:
III Karen, m. David Rogge
IV Debbie, m. Steven Ball
V Pam, m. Rob Bowers
3252 Retha, b. 17 Mar 1905; m. J. Alex Bolton, 1938, he b. 1907, d 31 Aug 1992. Retha attended Tillsonburg High School and Hamilton Teachers college, taught for several years in shools in Southern Ontario. Alex taught schools in Fingal, Belmont and Thamesford until he purchased a farm on Goshen Road in 1945. In 1991 Alex and Retha were living on the farm and had leased the fields. Children, surname Bolton:
A Jack, b. 1939; lives Toronto, ON. Unmarried.
3253 Oliver Wendell, b. 29 Feb 1912; d. 9 Aug 1973; m. Doris Birdsall, 18 Sep 1948.
Doris Oatman, Tillsonburg, ON;
Tillsonburg Cemetery records;
Tillsonburg Observer, 17 Jan 1901; 3 May 1900;
Tillsonburg Liberal, 13 Feb 1902; 23 Mar 1905